Pigs in Blankets
- 4 hotdogs or Italian sausages
- 2 cups all purpose flour, plus ½ cup for dusting surface
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. Steeped Tea Ol' SmokTea Seasoning
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tbsp. dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 4 tbsp. cold unsalted butter, cut into ¼-inch cubes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Combine flour, baking powder, Ol' SmokTea Seasoning, baking soda, sugar and sea salt in a food processor.
- Add butter and pulse just 5 or 6 times, for 5 seconds each time. Mixture should resemble coarse cornmeal. Add the cheddar cheese at this time, and pulse another 3 times.
- Add buttermilk and process until a ball forms. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface. Sprinkle with flour, then gently pat out and roll into a 12x16-inch rectangle.
- Trim edges to make them even. Cut rectangle in half to make two 8x12" rectangles.
- Cut each half into four 3x8" strips, then cut each strip diagonally to make 16 triangles. Transfer strips to a baking sheet, cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut up each hotdog or sausage into fours, and roll each piece up into a strip of dough, starting at the wide edge of the triangle and rolling up to the pointy end.
- Bake on parchment-lined sheet 2 inches apart.
- Brush with beaten egg and bake until golden, about 15 minutes.