Pumpkin Chai Cheesecake Recipe
Recipe type: Cheesecake
- 3 cups Cookie crumbs, ginger or chocolate (about 24 large ginger or 60 chocolate wafer cookies)
- ½ cup Butter, melted
- 3 8-oz (250-g) pkgs Regular cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup Sugar, granulated
- 2 tbsp Flour, all-purpose
- 3 tbsp Steeped Tea Chai tea of choice, ground
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 3 Eggs
- 12/3 cups (400 mL) Pumpkin purée (not pie filling), a 14-oz (398-mL) can
- ¼ cup Candied ginger, finely chopped
- 1 Semi-sweet chocolate, square, about 1 oz (28 g)
- 2 tbsp Butter
- For crust, lightly butter sides of a 10-in. (25-cm) springform pan.
- In a food processor, whirl cookies until crumbs form.
- Add melted butter and whirl until evenly mixed.
- Press mixture onto bottom of pan.
- Wrap bottom and outer side of pan with heavy-duty foil. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- Preheat oven to 325F (160C). Put a kettle full of water on to boil.
- For filling, cut cream cheese into cubes, then place in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat until smooth. Then gradually beat in sugar, flour, Steeped Tea Chai tea and vanilla. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then pumpkin and candied ginger, scraping down sides of bowl with a spatula between additions.
- Remove crust from refrigerator. Pour in filling and smooth top.
- Place wrapped springform pan in a broiler pan or shallow-sided roasting pan and place in oven. Pour enough boiling water into broiler pan to come about 1-in. (2.5-cm) up side of springform pan.
- Bake in centre of preheated oven until filling is almost set when springform pan is jiggled, about 1 hour.
- Remove broiler pan from oven. Set on a wire rack. Let cake stand in water in pan just until water cools, about 40 min, then remove cake from water.
- Remove foil from pan. Run a knife around inside edge of pan to help prevent cracking.
- Cool, then cover and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- If making ahead, wrap in plastic, then overwrap with foil and freeze up to 1 month.
- For topping, chop chocolate and place in a small bowl. Add butter.
- Microwave on medium, stirring once, until almost melted, about 2 min. Remove and stir until smooth.
- Drizzle over cold cheesecake, then refrigerate cake until firm, about 10 min.
- Slice into wedges and serve. Or place wedges on plates and drizzle chocolate sauce overtop.